Thursday, March 6, 2008

Projects Projects Projects.

At the second launching of Breaking Ground Football, I took more pictures than video, with the hope of sharing the moment with you. What I tried to capture was the energy and spirit of Cameroon. I have concluded that it is impossible to capture this inexplicable spirit for life in either photo or video.

Have you ever tried to describe the beach to someone who has never been? You, having been there, visualize the soft salty air hitting your face and the crashing waves serenading you to sleep after a day of feeling the sun warm your face while watching children create sand castles. The sunset is beautiful and your connection with the environment reawakens something inside you and is mentally fulfilling.

The person who has never been there says, wait on television I see hurricanes that kill people and demolish houses. And, did you not see the Tsunami? I see kids drowning in the undertow and people being bitten by sharks. I hear people complain of painful sunburn and sand that seems to never wash out between their toes. Why would you ever want to go to the beach? It’s dangerous and sounds miserable.

This is my newfound analogy for Cameroon. I tell people about the weather, and they assume excruciating heat. I talk about life and they see AIDS. I talk about work and they see poverty. Yes, heat, sickness, and poverty are elements in Cameroon, however, when I think of Cameroon I think of hospitality, life, and laughter. If life were miserable, I wouldn’t be here. I love my life here.

My vision of Cameroon is walking into my neighborhood and being hugged by at least 6 shoeless kids yelling my name with a partially inflated ball at their feet. Sitting in the kitchen and feeling the warmth of the fire heating up the tea that I will then share with friends over conversation about the latest town gossip, which always ends in perpetual laughter. And then suddenly music carries you to your feet – we are all dancing together, laughing and making movements the best we know how. That is my Cameroon, full of life and hope.

Just like the beach, until you experience the real thing, the TV stereotypes are hard to ignore. Once you dance to the music, see the children, taste the tea, and become a part of the laughter, however, these pre-implanted images disappear and you never want to live without this inexplicable energy again. I can’t imagine a life without Cameroon, without Africa.

Projects Projects Projects. My day starts at 7:30am and doesn’t end until I crash on my bed. I have so much to do that I schedule 3 meetings at the same time; whoever gets there first gets priority and thus more time to discuss the issue at hand. Women are learning to arrive early if they want my time. I have had 4 radio interviews, 3 about the business class and 1 about the soccer program. I have never felt more accomplished.

Thus far in my life, this past week has been the most rewarding. Everything I have dreamed of has come into fruition. I am working for an NGO that believes in giving people the power to help themselves. I have 7 women who are preparing to launch their own businesses. I have passed my teaching responsibilities to two Cameroonian women. I have a successful soccer program giving adolescent girls a chance to learn teamwork and leadership skills while having fun. Women trust me, they are building self-confidence, and positive action within the N'Gaoundéré community is happening. I am watching it happen and I am a part of this movement, but at the same time, my “string” can be detached. They will progress without me because they are learning and applying skills to their own lives.

Two weeks ago Dr. Taguem Fah and I handed out letters of acceptance and rejection for the proposed business projects. One week later, we interviewed applicants of the seven selected projects. For my first time, I was sitting on the questioning side of the table. I was drilling instead of being drilled. At first it was nerve wracking, as I know what these ladies started from and are up against. It was my responsibility to select the most capable and yet not exclude the most in need as well. I have full confidence in the conclusions we made and with pleasure ask you to visit the current projects page on our website.

I have been making house visits, learning in depth about my students’ lives and their families. As I write their history, they are preparing the execution of their enterprises. We all are working against the time constraint of the end of dry season and the upcoming rainy season, which threatens the construction projects with a strict time frame. As I run around town, I see students whose projects were not selected. There is no negativity; many women are taking the course again to better understand the material and re-write their project. There is no grudge or anger because they have still learned.

One seamstress, Aissatou Bintou, was selected to develop her business idea and is taking the course again. “Again!” I said in shock while she fitted me into a new blue and brown African dress. “ Yes, the course opened my mind so much the first time, I can’t imagine what I possibly missed. I have to take it again to master it and make sure I know everything!” She then pulled out her cashbook and said, “ Look, I write everything that comes in and out. I know what money I spend and what my clients prefer! Aren’t you proud” My smile wasn’t going anywhere.

The first day of the second session, 45 women showed up. Two men sat in the back and I impolitely asked them to leave, one woman whispered, “ Madame Sarah, they are the PRESS.” Oops. Ok you can stay, but only for today. Today was the second class day and 65 women showed up. The class is now full, even past the number I prefer.

Taguem and I have resolved two new goals. Our previous goal of attaining women’s trust and giving them confidence has been accomplished. Now we want to continue with the development of a women’s center in N'Gaoundéré within the Research Center. Some ideas are to have health, computer, and art classes that are inexpensive and give women a chance to interact, to be a part of something, and to learn new skills. The most important aspect for me is to continue with the project proposals at the end of the business class. I see no reason to stop a program that is empowering women to overcome poverty through their ideas and personal motivation, especially in a town where women have few opportunities. Ideally I want at least $10 000 per year to be pledged to the continuation of this program. The more money we have, the more women we can help.

The soccer program has also taken it’s own leap. I now have little to do except sit beside the delegate and “look pretty”. M. Ettiene Fouejio has taken responsibility for the program, Breaking Ground gives money for the field and referees and I make some photocopies here and there, but he is now the backbone. He has found female referees and has brought a new seriousness and respect to the second phase of the program. Before we handed out uniforms he made an incredible speech to the players stating how this program is for them. It is not solely about winning the game, but winning as a woman. Taking advantage of education and believing in your decisions. Afterwards, the girls clapped, cheered, and changed into their new gear.

It is amazing what uniforms can do. They not only make teams look united, but the girls act united as well. The African cup just ended (Cameroon lost to Egypt in the final) and girls are starting to do dances when they score goals. They talk about their teams at school and look forward to practices and games. Our next goal is cleats, socks and shin guards—balls are also always wanted. A single decent quality soccer ball here (costing about $15 in the US) costs about $50. I am working out a way for equipment to be sent twice a year via cargo.

Please check out the projects from my business class. I know everyone cannot financially support my students, but I want you to mentally support them and know them as people. These seven stalwart women are paving the way for women in N'Gaoundéré. They deserve to have their stories read and their accomplishments celebrated.