Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Just make do.

"What you are looking for?"
"Sarah, je ne comprends pas.” (Sarah, I don't understand)
I repeated, "What you are looking for?"

I believe I said it three times. I then proceeded to explain to my English grammar class the word dyslexic and that my example should say “What are you looking for?” I could not help but laugh at my mistake. Every time this happens to me I am shocked because I always feel that I'm over it, that all those one-on-one classes as a kid freed me from spelling errors and word reversals. It also shows me that my students are paying attention and can recognize when English is not correct.

I plan my English classes using four books: an English as a Second Language book, a Fulfulde book, a French grammar book, and my trusty dictionary. The reason I write my own lessons is because the books here are geared towards children and do not contain the vocabulary that shopkeepers, parents, and business people need. I also often find grammar mistakes in the Cameroonian books, and I prefer that they have correct examples and rules to follow.

I never imagined having such motivated students. All my courses last 2 hours and I schedule a ten-minute break in the middle. I do not think that I have been able to take one break in the twenty plus classes I have taught thus far. When I say, “let's take a break,” they say, “well, we have a question” or more typically “we'd rather keep going.” My students take a lot of pride in their classes, always doing their homework and keeping me on my toes. Some days I'm like, man, where are the slackers! Let me take a break!

I have learned a lot with my business class. Time here is viewed as something that cannot come with a schedule. I have strict rules about students coming to class on time and participating. Today I had one student call to tell me she was going to the hospital sick, but then she showed up. She had decided she did not want to miss and would come to class first. I begged her to miss and go see a doctor, but she said the idea of missing bothered her too much. I have codes in my attendance book that I did not anticipate. X means present, X highlighted means present and great participation, H means at the hospital, D means family death, C means called, and T means traveling. I wanted to withhold certificates from students who missed more than two classes, but with the dedication my students have and the legitimate reasons for missing class, not giving certificates because of two absences seems ridiculous. Their family responsibilities must be respected and not used as reasons for punishment.

Saturday was the second Breaking Ground Football game day. Over 300 people came to watch; an announcer showed up and did play-by-play announcements. I had never played a match where every time I had the ball at my feet my name was yelled through a speaker and my next move was judged out loud. Music was played when he did not speak. The referees stepped up their jobs doing cleat checks and fingernail checks. If girls' fingernails are too long, they must cut them. You will see girls in line biting their nails down before the referee checks them. The delegate stayed for all three games. As result, I have two interviews lined up with Cameroonian newspapers about Breaking Ground.

The program is awesome. The concern I have now is making sure that nothing gets out of control with the teams' new-found fan base. I'm looking into the possibility of charging an entrance fee that can be used for the programs sustainability.

Every time I tell my mom a story like this, she asks, "well, where do you go to the bathroom?" It’s actually a good question. While playing soccer, the issue hasn’t come up. Saturday, however, I found out. I asked someone where to go to the bathroom, hoping to be directed to a nearby hole, but was told, "we just make do, just go.” I went to a corner and told fifteen girls standing there that I was going to go the bathroom, and I went. When a young boy walked over, they all yelled at him, and continued to pass the ball amongst each other.

I also witnessed a girl breastfeeding her baby during halftime. That was something I should have anticipated, but never did. Many of my players are married and have children, but I never thought about the need to have a breastfeeding substitution. Makes you think.

The rainy season in the north has come to an end, making evening runs difficult. The dirt on the roads will quickly blanket your body and remind you that washing your clothes after just one wear is now a necessity.

I am headed to Ismaila's village, which is a couple hours east of N'Gaoundéré, and will report soon!