Sunday, October 21, 2007

Breaking Ground Football

I think I have transformed into an ear. I know more gossip about my friends, family, and total strangers in this town than I could ever have imagined. As an “outsider” people confide in me and trust me without a second thought. I will hear the story first in Fulfulde, then in French. With each language I learn something knew. I listen as well as I can and rarely give personal advice. My head spins with cultural and social differences, sometimes in shock and in other instances with amusement.

The soccer program is rapidly growing. News has spread around town that the program is legitimate. The season is to start in two weeks and I have already witnessed two teams with no less than 25 players (both Christian and Muslim!). Each practice I attend, more girls show up excited to play. I spent last Friday walking from home to home with one coach to meet the mother, father, or husband of his players. I learned that because I am an “outsider,” an innate trust exists; I can gain the confidence of family members to let their daughters play. When I explained who I am and the nature of the program, I rapidly gained their confidence and approval.


In each home I faced obstacles such as language barriers, cultural issues, and health and transportation questions. At the end of the long hot day, the biggest parental concern was that their daughters use soccer as an excuse to run around town. The players come home two hours after practice has ended, often after dark. I explained to the husband of one fifteen-year-old player that his wife’s responsibility is to return home immediately. I believe he as a legitimate complaint. The coach made it clear that practice is done at 5:30 giving her 30-minutes to walk home. As the girl begged her family to play, we explained to her that she has been given an opportunity and if she does not follow the rules, we will not come to her house and fight for her again. Her husband said she could play and the coach said that if there is a problem, he will pay for her moto ride (25 cents) home.

One problem that I am facing has to do with compensation for the coaches. I am thrilled that three out of six I have worked with thus far are extremely passionate and dedicated. This is great. Where’s the problem you ask? My coaches, as a rule, are volunteers. The problem I am facing is that they take the necessary time to go house to house, they sometimes pay for their players’ transportation fees, and they bring water to games. They are motivated for social change, but I do not think they should lose money and have to literally pay for that social change. Most of them are Physical Education teachers and do not have any money to spare. They have not asked me for money directly, but have explained that it is difficult because they feel a responsibility for their players and the future of the program.

Yesterday my team, AVENIR, scrimmaged against VINA. It took place on a Saturday afternoon at 4pm in the largest soccer facility in town. We had a referee, everyone had a green shirt to wear (they were turned in after the game) and the game started on time. There were no less than 150 people who watched the game and cheered. Groupies learned players’ names and circled around our huddle at half time. Fans shook my hand and told me I played well. Girls’ soccer? Hell yeah it exists. What caught me by surprise was how well the game was organized. Now I know for a fact that the coaches are working hard to prove that we should develop this program.


I was told that starting a program that promotes girls soccer would be extremely difficult, but I had nothing to do with organizing the first scrimmage. The infrastructure and players exist without me. What’s lacking is organization and finance. At the next coaches’ meeting, rosters will be submitted. I am planning to have the coaches write down where they see Breaking Ground Football headed in the next 5 years. What are their short-term and long-term goals? I fault myself as underestimating the level of play and dedication that is already established.

Just to inform you, my team won Saturday 2-0. Not one player wore shin guards and some girls wore “jelly shoes” as they do not own tennis shoes. Their foot skills and passing skills constantly impress me. The team spirit is unparalleled. I actually feel awkward because I’ve never been on a team where everyone dives on each other when a goal is scored. We dominated the entire game, which included a rainstorm. I am trying to limit my playing, as I fear that other coaches will complain that my involvement could lead to corruption. So far, everyone sees it as leading by example for which I am grateful. I played stopper the entire game and am learning how to yell rather quickly in French. I have also learned that if I do not lay my legs flat during half time, you get yelled at and that because I am not use to the terrain (imagine hard dirt covered with sand as your “field”) I have to play two touches. If I try to take on a player the ball always rolls more quickly than I anticipate and I lose control. I am greatly looking forward to the next coaches meeting. I am insanely proud of the girls I have played with thus far.


Organizing the business course is taking longer that I hoped. Women do not yet understand the concept of what I am trying to teach and are uncomfortable with that fact. Imagine that you have never gone to school and someone is saying, come learn how to start a business or improve the one you have already. Learn to write down your expenses and advertise. It will happen, but I need to keep putting my ear to work and listen to the women’s concerns.